Latina Resource Center
According to the Wisconsin Domestic Violence Homicide Report published in September 2013, domestic violence claimed 89 lives in Wisconsin in 2011 and 2012, 19 of those were teens and children. That is 89 lives too many!
For most, violence or abuse touches us at some point in our lives. We face it in the news, amid our local communities, and sometimes within our own families. Cultural elements can play a significant role in both positive and negative ways. With this in mind, UMOS established the Latina Resource Center (LRC) to address cultural and linguistic challenges faced by victims.
Not just a center that serves Latinas, the LRC embraces all cultures, recognizing that victims, regardless of gender, age, culture, language, ethnicity, and race, deserve to live lives free from abuse and violence.
This unique cultural focus makes the LRC the only center of its kind in Wisconsin. The LRC’s bilingual, compassionate staff members are able to provide crisis and/or ongoing safety and support services to women, men, teens, and children affected by a domestic violence situation.
Comprehensive SERVICES include:
- 24/7 Bilingual Crisis Hotline: (414) 389-6510
- Crisis Intervention
- Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Advocacy
- Casa de Paz/Living in Peace Transitional Housing
- Domestic Violence Support Groups
- Adult Sexual Assault Support Groups
- Sexual Assault Victims Services
- Healthy Girls/Expect Respect Program
- Celebrating Families Program
- Children’s Sexual Assault Support Groups
- Children and Teens Domestic Violence/Abuse Services
- Mi Arco Iris/My Rainbow Children’s Program: Psycho-educational groups for children
- Healthy Marriage Initiative/Healthy Relationships Program
- Rescue and Restore Victims of Human Trafficking Program
FUNDING for LRC programs and services comes from a variety of sources, and we are always seeking additional support and resources that will allow the center to sustain all of its programming and even expand. We are sincerely grateful for support from the following sources:
- U.S. Department of Justice/Office on Violence Against Women (OVW)
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services/Administration for Children & Families (ACF)
- WI Department of Justice/Office of Crime Victims Services/Violence of Crime Act (VOCA)
- WI Department of Justice/Office of Crime Victims Services/Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)
- WI Department of Children and Families/Bureau of Safety and Well-Being
- WI Department of Children and Families/Bureau of Milwaukee Child Welfare
- United Way of Greater Milwaukee
- Greater Milwaukee Foundation
- Center for Self-Sufficiency
- UMOS Board of Directors, staff members and private donors
Watch for annual LRC EVENTS and join us in advocating for victims.
- Latina Resource Center Fundraiser (spring)
- Brides Walk Against Domestic Violence (fall)